Type to search

Education Fashion Jewelry

What Does a Raw Diamond Look Like? | Complete Jewelry Guide

Share
What is a raw diamond-BIXLER

Raw diamonds are gemstones that haven’t gone through any kind of treatment after they were discovered beneath the earth. Generally, diamonds that are sold at jewelry stores have already been cut and polished to give them their specific shape and make them faceted. On the other hand, raw diamonds are uncut and unpolished. In other words, they have not been altered or tampered with after they were discovered. Raw diamonds look like transparent stones with yellowish or brownish tints. There are some that are colorless but these are rare.

What Is a Raw Diamond Used For?

Raw diamonds are categorized according to three distinctive categories; Gem quality, Crushing-Boart; and Industrial quality. In fact, only about 20% of the global production of raw diamonds is for jewelry. These are known as gem-quality, while the remaining 80% are intended for industrial use.

Raw diamonds used in the industry - Bixler

What Are Gem Quality Diamonds?

Gem quality diamonds are basically the diamonds used in jewelry and they come in different cuts, designs, and sizes. Industry quality diamonds, on the other hand, have four major uses. One of these is cutting, which involves the insertion of diamonds into cutting blades with the purpose of enhancing their cutting capacity. Raw diamonds are also used for drilling. Sometimes the drilling is done to find minerals, oil, and gas. They form a core part of the metal tips on the drill bits.

What Do Raw Uncut Diamonds Look Like?

Raw uncut diamonds are stones that have not been shaped into any specific form or size by a professional cutter and neither have they gone through the polishing process. After they have been mined, their quality is quite high, but they still need to be cut and polished to be used in jewelry.

What is a raw diamond - BIXLER

It is essential to mention that a high percentage of raw uncut diamonds have a brownish or yellowish tint. And the more solid the tint, the less the value of the stone. This means that uncut diamonds that have a less visible tint or hue are of more value than the ones with a stronger tint. There are also colorless diamonds, which are very rare and highly valuable. These are referred to as white diamonds and they command extremely high prices on the market.

What does a raw diamond look like - BIXLER

Is an Uncut Diamond Worth Anything?

Although an uncut diamond doesn’t have any sparkle, that doesn’t mean it’s not worth anything. The fact is that the quality of the uncut diamond has a huge impact on the value and quality of the final product that you see on your jewelry. The worth of a diamond is determined majorly by the cut. For an uncut diamond, the price is mainly determined by its carat, color, and clarity. Carat refers to the weight, which means the higher the carat, the higher the price. This is based on the assumption that its quality is also high.

RELATED: The Complete History of Diamonds from America’s First and Oldest Jeweler

Conclusion

Uncut diamonds generally have many flaws, also known as inclusions. Uncut diamonds with fewer flaws/inclusions generally have a higher clarity grade, which ultimately increases their worth. A flawless uncut diamond may actually be worth more than a cut and polished diamond with a much lower clarity grade. The color of the uncut diamond also determines its worth. Colorless or near-colorless uncut diamonds are rare, and the more colorless they are, the more expensive they are.

Browse officially licensed diamond jewelry from America’s First and Oldest Jeweler!

READ MORE: Can Diamonds Melt or Burn?

READ MORE: Everything you Need to Know about Moissanite Diamonds

Tags:

You Might also Like

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

DON’T MISS OUT!
Subscribe To Newsletter
Be the first to get latest updates and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
Stay Updated
Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime.
close-link