Type to search

Education Fashion Jewelry

Gold-filled vs Solid Gold | Ultimate Jewelry Guide

Share
Gold-filled vs Solid Gold-BIXLER

When it comes to solid gold, its name is fairly self-explanatory as to what it actually is. Solid gold is the purest and the most valuable form of gold. The purest form of gold is 24 carats, which is the most valuable in price as well. Its drawback is that it’s not very strong and it can be easily bent/broken, which is why it is mixed with other metals when used in jewelry. Gold-filled jewelry on the other hand, consists of just a small portion of solid gold, usually about 5% to be more precise. In gold-filled jewelry, a solid gold layer is bonded to a metal base, which can be sterline silver or other precious metals.

Gold Filled vs Solid Gold – What’s The Difference Between Them?

The difference between a piece of jewelry made purely of gold and jewelry that is merely gold filled is huge. Not only in terms of its composition but the difference in the price is also very significant. When we talk about solid gold, the first thing that comes to mind is the purity of the gold. When we say gold-filled, some of you may think that we’re talking about jewelry that’s filled with gold, which is definitely not the case. As mentioned above, gold-filled jewelry contains only about 5% gold, with the other 95% being a much cheaper metal such as sterling silver.

UFC Jewelry - UFC DC Necklace in Gold
UFC Jewelry – DC Gold Necklace

Gold Filled vs Solid Gold, Which Is Better?

You may think of this question as a no brainer, but there are actually several things that need to be considered when deciding which type of gold is better. The first thing to consider here is how much are you willing to spend? If you don’t want to spend too much, gold-filled is for you. It will give you the same look and a much smaller bill at the cash. However, if you are looking to invest in something that’ll last a while, it’s better to go with solid gold. In terms of endurance and quality, then solid gold is the way to go.

Fun fact: Gold-filled is expected to last for about 25-30 years, whereas solid gold lasts forever.

Is Gold Filled Real Gold?

The external layer of the gold-filled jewelry is indeed real gold, but the filling inside is usually a cheaper metal. Gold-filled jewelry is a cheaper alternative to solid gold but with the outer layer being real gold, it looks and feels just like a genuine solid-gold piece of jewelry. It’s almost indistinguishable from real gold because of its appearance and can easily be passed off as real gold jewelry to the regular person. Additionally, if you’re allergic to certain precious metals used in jewelry (except for gold), you can wear gold filled jewelry without any problems as the outside composition of gold-filled jewelry is real gold.

Ghostbusters Jewelry - Ghostbusters Gold Logo Charm
Ghostbusters Diamond Logo Charm

Which One Is Worth More?

Real gold jewelry is worth more than gold filled jewelry but that does not mean that you shouldn’t buy gold-filled jewelry. Both kinds are right for different reasons. One might be great for a timeless piece of jewelry such as a chain, while the other might be right for a temporary fashion piece such as a charm bracelet. When it comes to gold-filled jewelry, the thickness of the outer layer also affects its worth. The thicker the outer layer is, the longer the life span of the jewelry and since more solid gold is being used, its value also goes up.

READ MORE: Test Your Gold at Home

RELATED: Everything You Need to Know About Gold Plated Jewelry

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

DON’T MISS OUT!
Subscribe To Newsletter
Be the first to get latest updates and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
Stay Updated
Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime.
close-link