Diamond Buying Guide and Checklist from Bixler
Shopping for diamond jewelry can be confusing sometimes, due to all the different factors that you have to take into consideration. Besides the style and price range, you have to consider things like the origin of the diamonds, warranty, and the reputation of the company you’re buying from. To make your life a little easier, here’s a recommended diamond checklist from BIXLER.
1. View your diamond under a high quality microscope with a diamond expert who can show you how your diamond matches its grading report.
2. View a selection of diamonds in different lighting conditions placed next to each other so that you can see the difference in fire, brightness, scintillation, and luster.
3. Insist on only a GIA or Forevermark Diamond Grading Report with an inscription.
4. Insist on a responsibly sourced finely crafted hand-set ring manufactured in North America with a lifetime warranty on defects.
5. Don’t buy Online for the following reasons:
- A. You cannot determine a diamond’s luster or beauty without viewing it.
- B. You cannot determine whether the diamond falls high or low region within each grade. In other words, for example, is it a good SI1 or a weak SI1?
- C. If the diamond turns out to be disappointing it is a major hassle to return.
- D. You cannot determine whether the diamond’s fluorescence affects its beauty without viewing it. A grading report makes no determination for whether the fluorescence causes oily or haziness in the diamond.
6. Insist on a Lifetime Warranty including a grade guarantee, a trade-in guarantee, and including a no-hassle refund so that you can insist on a second opinion.
7. Don’t risk buying from a company without the best reputation.
Want to know more about diamonds? Check out our other blog on the Four C’s of Diamonds!